It is possible to remotely connect to a School of Engineering machine and run MATLAB. This allows you to access MATLAB from your personal computer (both PCs and Macs). A free piece of software called NX Client needs to be installed on your machine. Instructions on how to do this and how to connect to the School of Engineering Linux pool can be found at the following page:
Some helpful tips:
- Follow the instructions for connecting to the Linux pool, not the Windows Remote Desktop.
- Your username and password are the ones you would normally use to logon to any School of Engineering machine.
- The responsiveness of session will depend on the speed of your broadband connection.
- When you save files you are saving to your School of Engineering filestore. To access these files in a UoE PC Microlab follow these instructions: https://www.wiki.ed.ac.uk/display/engineeringitpublic/Engineering+File+Store.
- If you are using a Mac which is running Mac OS X 10.7.x (Lion) of Mac OS X 10.8.x (Mountain Lion) you should download the OpenNX Client software at http://opennx.net/download.html and then follow the above linked instructions.